Today is Cinco de Mayo, yay! A holiday that many of us take as a day to drink tequila to our hearts content and eat bomb Mexican food, because why not? But why do we celebrate this holiday? Many believe that today is Mexico’s Independence Day, well think again because it’s not. Mexico’s Independence Day is actually celebrated on September 16th, we celebrate the fifth of May because it was the day that the Mexican army won over the French forces at the Battle of Puebla, which happened on May 5th, 1862. It is such a big deal because during the battle the Mexican army wasn’t a favorite to win but they were able to overcome the French troops.
Now enough about history, lets talk about drinking. As American’s we like to celebrate Cinco de Mayo as well, which means plenty of tequila based drinks for us to celebrate with (not to mention drown our sorrows about finals week.)
Prickly Pear Moscow Mule:
This drink will start your Cinco de Mayo off right. It’s a hot pink color with a sweet pear taste but a kick at the end from the jalapenos.
2 oz Mezcal
6 oz ginger beer
1 oz. prickly pear syrup
Jalapeño slices (seeded), for garnish
1. Sprinkle salt on a plate and set aside. Run a cut lime along the rim of the glasess. Dip the rim in the salt covered plate. Set the glasses aside.
2. Muddle the lime juice and jalapeño at the bottom of a shaker until well combined.
3. Add the Mezcal, a few cubes of ice and the prickly pear syrup. Shake vigorously until well combined.
3. Pour the mixture evenly into the two glasses.
4. Pour the ginger beer into the glasses until the drink reaches the top of the glass. Stir.
5. Garnish the drink with a few jalapeño slices for added bite.
A tequila sunrise is a twist on the typical margarita, fun for any party but not dangerous enough to make you hit the floor after one drink. It’s also really easy to make.
2 ounces Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila
4 ounces orange juice
1.Fill glass half way with ice
2. Pour tequila and orange juice into the glass
3. Stir to combine, add a splash of grenadine
4. Garnish with an orange slice.
Because why not? It’s Cinco de Mayo!
1 jalapeno, sliced thin
6oz fresh lime juice
Spoon full of sugar
8oz orange liqueur
1. In a blender, combine jalapeno, celery leaves, lime juice, and sugar
2. Add in tequila and orange liqueur
3. Serve of the rocks, add salt to rim of glass
Classic Margarita Spritzer
Who doesn’t love a good spritzer, especially when summer is right around the corner and nobody needs those extra calories.
1 1/2 ounce tequila
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1 ounce triple sec or orange juice
4 ice cubes
Chilled seltzer or club soda
1 lime slice for garnish
1. In a tall glass combine the tequila, the lime juice, the triple sec, and ice cubes.
2. Fill the glass with the seltzer and stir the drink.
3. Garnish it with the lime slice.
Tequila shots, am I right? If you don’t want to mess with the hassle of making a fancy drink, then just drink the tequila alone. Always remember what happens after your third shot of tequila. My favorite tequila, Patron silver, goes down smooth but doesn’t leave a burn.
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone, please drink responsibly!
**drinks found via Pintrest