An exploration guide for driving down I-5

Graphic created by Lissette Vargas/Xpress. Map showing highways credit to Geology.com

With windows rolled down and the cool California air breezing through your car, you see endless rows of green crops for miles. Car games are initiated to pass the time, and you point out the window guessing what is being grown in the fields of green. You see big tractors carrying heaps of brown and then you notice workers with sun hats and gloves picking small round objects off the trees. All of a sudden a stench begins to linger in the air, the sent is so foul that you begin to drive a tad over the speed limit to escape.

Interstate 5 highway was completed in 1979 and has since then been the quickest way to travel between Blaine, Washington and San Diego, and California on wheels. Travelers trying to reach cities like Los Angeles, Sacramento, Portland and Seattle popularly use the road, as well as truck drivers delivering goods across counties.

Next time you are driving on the 5, use this illustrated map to put the vast land in front of you into perspective and see exactly what is growing.

Graphic created by Lissette Vargas/Xpress. Cotton image credit to Freepix.
  1. Nunes Farms has been harvesting almonds and pistachios since 1984. They’re nuts are supplied in raw form during the warm weather, as well as dipped in rich chocolate during the colder months. 4012 Pete Miller Rd., Gustine, CA
  1. Delgado Farming was first established in 1988. The farm produces cotton for Sammy Dress, a clothes wholesaler. 27685 South Hamburg Ave., Firebaugh, CA
  1. Del Bosque Farms, Inc. prides themselves in providing safe and healthy working conditions for their workers. They have been growing organic honeydew melons and cantaloupes since 2004. Their cops also include almonds from twenty-year-old trees and produce some of the best asparagus in the country. 51481 West Shields Ave., Firebaugh, CA
  1. Blue Ridge Pomegranates is a family owned organic farm that allows you the opportunity to pick your own pomegranates for just $15 a box.17000 South Derrick Ave., Cantua Creek, CA 
  1. Harris Ranch is California’s largest beer producer with over 100,000 cattle populating the area. Harris Ranch is In-N-Out Burger’s meat supplier. The ranch is also popularly know for inspiring Michael Pollan’s book on factory faming, The Omnivore’s Dilemma. 23304 West Oakland Avenue, Coalinga, CA ‎
  1. Double D Farms is the most diverse farm on our list. Their production list includes:
  • Asparagus
  • Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage (red, green)
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Garlic
  • Green Beans
  • Onions (red & yellow)
  • Sweet Corn
  • Cantaloupe
  • Watermelon seeded/seedless
  • Honeydew

29191 Fresno Coalinga Rd., Coalinga, CA

1. Los Gatos Tomato Products focuses on producing high quality and sustainable tomato paste.19800 Gale Ave., Huron, CA
  1. Paramount Farms are the producers of the “Wonderful” pistachio and almonds. They’re popular slogan, “Get Crackin America” is heard across the country. They are currently on the way to produce a billion pounds of pistachios by 2020.13646 California 33, Lost Hills, CA

View Comments (2)