President of Eco Life Club

Marc Hernandez with a fellow Eco Life member clean up dead grasses in front of Ocean Beach in San Francisco on May 6, 2017.

Marc Hernandez is president of the Eco Life club at San Francisco State University. Marc is currently a junior and his major is mechanical engineering. Every Thursday night, Marc is in Mary Park Lounge running the Eco Life meetings. The club plans off-campus and on-campus events, such as beach clean- ups, habitat restoration, planting flowers, and tending to the San Francisco State vegetable garden.

“I don’t think anyone knows this garden is here,” Marc said as he walked around the garden on Mar. 30, 2017.

“The vegetables are here for the students,” Marc said.

After his Eco Life meeting, which Marc said can vary from 10-20 participants, he heads over to City Eats, the dining center on campus. Every Thursday and Friday he joins other volunteers to collect leftover food to bring to the homeless. The volunteers gather under the restaurant in the industrial sized kitchen where they package the food and weigh it before sending it off to homeless shelters in San Francisco.

Marc is originally from Los Angeles and in his free time likes to skateboard and challenge friends to arcade games in the lower Cesar Chavez building between classes and Eco Life events.

Recent activities that the Eco Life club have hosted have been a habitat restoration along Ocean Beach on May 6, 2017, and before Earth Day weekend on Thursday, Apr. 20, 2017, they planted flowers along Holloway Avenue behind the humanities building. Marc said the club is always looking for new members to join and get involved with their events.

[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”9″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_slideshow” gallery_width=”600″ gallery_height=”400″ cycle_effect=”fade” cycle_interval=”10″ show_thumbnail_link=”0″ thumbnail_link_text=”[Show thumbnails]” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]