Radical Roots: Community in the Punk Scene—A Photo Story

924 Gilman Street helps redefine the understanding of community space
Andrew Fogel
I’ve Never Been Here Before dances during one of her performances at 924 Gilman Street. Most of the other people in the picture are members of other bands that were performing that day, including Snallygaster and Nick Pants.

As an offshoot of the rock and roll of the ’50s and ’60s, punk music and culture was created to challenge musical and societal standards. The music is raw and riddled with political messages of anti-authoritarianism, anti-consumerism and the recognition of class struggle. These traits could be seen in the community that developed around it—punks are loud, dress differently and can come off as intimidating. While this perspective permeated the mainstream, the message behind their musical and fashion statements was one of inclusion and the recognition of society’s wrongdoings. 

924 Gilman Street is a classic punk venue in Berkeley where bands like Green Day, Operation Ivy and Rancid grew in popularity, and is entirely volunteer-run. Although it’s been around since the ’80s, Gilman still upholds many of the tenets found in the punk scene when it was first created. Along with the political messages plastered in the building and the lyrics of the songs that reverberate off the walls, Gilman provides an all-inclusive space to the community. It is an all-ages venue that doesn’t tolerate racism, transphobia, abuse and any other traits that harm the community. In a world that seems so isolated, an inclusive community space is inherently radical.

A volunteer puts a wristband on a concert-goer. The venue is entirely volunteer-run, with people showing up an hour before doors open to volunteer their time. (Andrew Fogel/Xpress)

An overview of 924 Gilman Street. The history of the venue is quite literally posted on the walls, like “Real Bay Shit” and other messages left by bands or concert-goers. (Andrew Fogel/Xpress)

The brother of the lead singer of Snallygaster has a pretend shoot-off with a member of Nick Pants. (Andrew Fogel/Xpress)

A volunteer poses for a picture showcasing the rules of 924 Gilman Street. (Andrew Fogel/Xpress)

Boots sit on a shrine in 924 Gilman Street. Throughout its history, regulars of Gilman have passed away, and artifacts remembering those individuals can be found around the venue. (Andrew Fogel/Xpress)