San Francisco’s Native Flora: A Photo Essay

Elliot Levin is SF States greenhouse coordinator and expert on Bay Area native plants
Elliot Levin, the greenhouse manager at SFSU, is seen near some diplacus aurantiacus flowers, also known as near the SF State greenhouse on Aug. 30, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine)

Elliot Levin is an SF State alumnus who graduated in 2018. He has been working full-time as the coordinator since 2020 for the campus greenhouse, located behind the science building. “I wear a lot of different kinds of hats,” said Levin when describing his work.

Elliot Levin, the greenhouse manager at SFSU, is seen walking outside the greenhouse on Aug. 30, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine)

As the greenhouse coordinator, he is responsible for everything from hiring and training student workers and social media to maintaining the greenhouse interior and exterior.
Levin’s favorite part of working at the greenhouse is the creative freedom he gets while working and getting to work with his favorite plants and students every day.

A bee is seen on a Grindelia stricta flower near the J. Paul Leonard library in San Francisco, Calif. on Aug. 30, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine)

Near the J. Paul Leonard Library, a bee is seen on a yellow flower known as the Grindelia stricta, or the San Francisco gum plant. The G. stricta is important for supporting native pollination. The flower provides food for local bees and butterflies around SF State.

Ceanothus flowers are seen near the J. Paul Leonard library in San Francisco, Calif. on Sept. 5, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine)

Different species of this purple flower can be spotted near the J. Paul Leonard Library. The Ceanothus is commonly referred to as the Dark Star, or the Blue Blossom flower. This flower is often confused with the Julia Phelps flower since the two species look so similar.

A flower of a California fuscia plant is seen near the J. Paul
Leonard library in San Francisco, Calif. on Sept. 5, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine) (Neal Wong)
California fuscia plants are seen near the J. Paul Leonard library
in San Francisco, Calif. on Sept. 5, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine) (Neal Wong)

The California Fuchsia is a red-orange plant that is also known as the hummingbird plant. Long plants like the California Fuchsia are called tube plants and they are important to animals with long beaks. Local hummingbirds with spots on their chests and loud bird calls are often seen feeding off these plants near the J. Paul Leonard Library.

Elliot Levin, the greenhouse manager at SFSU, rips apart a aphids to reveal its insides, on Aug. 30, 2023. (Neal Wong/Xpress Magazine)

Elliot Levin, the greenhouse manager at SF State, crushes and shows off a species of aphids that are infecting the manzanita trees around SF State. The aphids are causing the leaves on manzanita trees to swell into pod-like galls.