‘Bad Dads,’ an art tribute to Wes Anderson’s charming films

The Spoke Art Gallery’s Bad Dads art exhibition featured over 80 artists’s original work inspired by Wes Anderson films. Artwork included paintings, screen prints, and sculptures. (Catherine Uy/ Xpress Magazine)

Hundreds dressed as their favorite Wes Anderson film character for the fifth annual “Bad Dads” art show and Halloween costume party at Spoke Art. This year, the San Francisco gallery showcased the work of over 80 talented artists.

A member of the Spoke Art team as Agatha, a character from The Grand Budapest Hotel.

The exhibition featured artwork inspired by the charming, quirky films of Wes Anderson like The Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and his latest, The Grand Budapest Hotel. The group show displayed art from almost every medium with screen prints, paintings, paper cut illustrations, and sculptures. Walls donned colorful and whimsical illustrations of many of Anderson’s popular characters like Steve Zissou (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou),  Sam Shakusky (Moonrise Kingdom), and Margot Tenenbaum (The Royal Tenenbaums).

Anderson’s most recent film was showcased in the small gallery’s window display of pink Mendl’s pastry boxes, which attendees could purchase for $16. As a Wes Anderson film buff, it was a let down to learn that the boxes were not filled with the Courtesan au Chocolat as seen in the movie. Fortunately, there is a YouTube tutorial on how to make the beloved treat that Ralph Fiennes’ character Mr. Gustave loved in the film.

If you missed the costume party, Spoke Art is hosting another one tonight from 6-10pm.

“Bad Dads” is on view at the Spoke Art Gallery through November 22.