Zayn Malik leaves One Direction

6927143246_f50a304278_b
Zayn from One Direction. Photo by Eva Rinaldi/Creative Commons.

Last week, Zayn Malik from the popular boy band One Direction, took leave from the group’s tour in Asia due to “stress” (or what others seem to be calling cheating allegations after a certain photo surfaced) and went to relax with family in the United Kingdom.

Zayn holding hands with mysterious blond. Photo from Hollywood Life.

The band assured fans that Malik would only be missing three performances and be back in time to pick up the tour on the 28th.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. I’m sure Directioners across the globe are already weeping when I say this, but yes, MalikĀ is leaving the band for good.

The band’s Facebook released a statement at 9:30 a.m. PST confirming that Malik will not be returning to the band.

Courtesy on One Directions Facebook Page.
Courtesy on One Direction’s Facebook Page.

Malik apologized to fans in the statement.

“My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I’d like to apologies to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Nial. I know they will continue to be the best band int he world.”

The rest of the band, of course, is supportive of their friend and band-mate, and say they are said to see him go.

“We’re really sad to see Zayn go, but we totally respect his decision and send him all our love for the future. The past five years have been beyond amazing, we’ve gone through so much together, so we will always be friends. The four of us will now continue. We’re looking forward to recording the new album and seeing all the fans on the next stage of the world tour.”

The band will continue their tour and music without Malik, and the world will have a great big 1D shaped hole in their heart. So I guess Zayn doesn’t feel the way he felt when he was “18” (or 17, for that matter). Now the question has to be asked, “where do broken hearts go?”

View Comments (1)