ASK XPRESS: How do I Holiday shop on a budget?

Andrew Fogel

Students are often on a tight and fixed budget as they navigate through college. One of the toughest times of the year is the holiday season when getting gifts, dressing for parties and decorations are all part of the season. According to the National Retail Federation, consumers plan to spend about $900 on winter holidays this year. Below is some advice on how to celebrate without breaking the bank. 

NerdWallet says to start, make a list of who you want to give to this year. Then, set a budget based on available funds and divide the amount among all the people you are shopping for. Maximize the available credit card benefits and be sure to watch out for credit card fees. Search for discounts and sales regularly. Be sure to track spending closely to stay on budget. 

Also, there are shopping events that can help. For example, Black Friday on Nov. 24 and Cyber Monday, Nov. 27, are times to enjoy deals and steals across many categories. Some companies have sales both online and in stores and a few might honor price matching so check that out, too.

Finally, get creative! DIY gifts are a great way of saving money and adding a personal touch to a gift.

Whatever the gifts are, remember it is the thought that counts. 

Sincerely,

Ask Xpress

For more life advice, go to Xpress Magazine on Instagram and submit a question.