Will injuries defeat the Giants?

Baseball season is back in full swing and the 2014 World Series Champions, the San Francisco Giants, are off to a tremendous start. The Giants just wrapped up a three game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks with Madison Bumgarner, Ryan Vogelsong, and Chris Heston pitching the season openers. The Giants won the series, 2-1, and made a great start to the beginning of baseball season, but not all went as planned.

Hunter Pence, Travis Ishikawa, and pitcher Erik Cordier were all placed on the disabled list, DL, before the regular season even began. On April 7th, Matt Cain whose season ended early last year due to bone chips,was also placed on the DL with a flexor tendon strain in his right forearm. During Tuesday’s game, first baseman Brandon Belt had to leave the game during the bottom of the fourth inning after chasing a foul ball and straining a groin muscle. To top the injuries off, pitcher Jake Peavy has been suffering from back soreness. The Giants have not placed Peavy on the DL yet but after a bullpen session on Tuesday Peavy did comment that he felt soreness in his back.

With the season just beginning the question is, how are these injuries going to effect the Giants as they try to break the stereotype of only winning the World Series during even number years. Bruce Bochy said that he has never gone through such bad luck with injuries in the beginning of the season. Two of the Giants better at-bats are currently residing on the DL list which could effect them as they head into a three game series against the San Diego Padres.

But knowing the Giants, these injuries are just a bump in the road and they won’t let it get into their head too much. After Buster Posey’s season ending injury back in 2013, the Giants were shaken but still strong after losing one of their best players to a broken leg. And sometimes the injuries can be blessings in disguise, allowing minor league players to come up and play professionally, usually shining as they replace someone we believed couldn’t be replaced. Take Ishikawa for example, he was brought up after Angel Pagan was sent to the DL last season. Ishikawa played well but on a faithful Thursday night during a playoff game against the St. Louis Cardinals, Ishikawa hit a walk-off home run which sent the Giants to the World Series, which they later won.

It’s too early to tell where the Giants will be come October but hopefully things will be looking up when their plays get off the DL and back onto the field to chase their fourth World Series Championship.

View Comments (1)