Xtracurriculars: Erick Mayen Perez

Second-year BECA major Erick Mayen Perez takes on the local music scene through several bands, applying the skills he learns at SF State to his passion projects.

Welcome to Xtracurriculars, a video series highlighting San Francisco State students and their unique hobbies, passion projects, and lives outside of campus. In a city as diverse as San Francisco, it only makes sense to showcase some of the wide-ranging interests of our student body. 

This first episode follows Erick Mayen Perez and friend, roommate, and collaborator Luke Gonzalez. The two sophomores spend most of their hours outside of class in their kitted-out bedroom studio playing and recording high-energy, fuzzy rock music for both of their solo projects — Ph3romon3s for Perez and Heavy Bev for Gonzalez — as well as their three-piece band The Poker People, all of which fall under the umbrella of the collective they formed, Cannon Mouth Collective. Coming off the thrill of a recent Ph3romon3s album release and the anticipation of an upcoming show at The Depot, Perez and Gonzalez have been working overtime to put on the best shows that a pair of hungry college kids possibly can.